The wedding was about 2 months ago and I’m finally recovering (though still working on those Thank You Notes – Oy!)
We got a ton of wedding and shower cards and I’m so not the sort of person to keep cards around, but pitching them just seemed wrong and I didn’t want them to just sit in some box so I decided to turn them into a book that I can flip through and enjoy memories whenever I’m feeling sentimental (so about once ever 4 or 5 years).
It was pretty easy to do. Luckily, my 2 largest cards were about the same size so I used them for the front and back “covers” of the book. Also fortunately, one of the large cards was my wedding color – powder blue – so it worked out as a great front page!
I sorted the cards by size and then purposefully mixed them up so that there weren’t too many small ones together or large ones together so there weren’t any “holes” in the book:
I carefully arranged the “spine” and bottom of the book so it was as flat as possible then vice-gripped them together. Then I just took the magic Sobo (or craft glue) and applied a thin layer of glue to the spine – about 1/8“ thick – about as thick as you can get and not have it dripping down the sides. Then I just set it as level as possible and let it dry for a couple days until the glue was completely clear.
Then I took some rice paper in the dark purple that was our other wedding color – cut it just a smidge wider than the spine width so that it would wrap over about an 1/8” onto the front and back cover. Put a little more glue on the spine and smoothed the paper down.
Since not all the cards are the same height you can see a bit of the paper on the inside of the cover, but the thing about rice paper is it looks pretty on both sides (I actually put the printed side of my paper to the inside so you can see it from the inside of the book – which I thought was a nice touch.
I plan to put some kind of title on the spine like “Katie & Jake, March 28, 2009” but I think I want to do it in gold rub-on lettering – which I still need to figure out.
Things I learned:
1) The vice grips will left dents in my top card that don’t seem to be going away, so I would advise you to put some sort of cardboard under the grips to protect your top and bottom cards.
2) It’s important that the spine is as flat as possible before you apply the glue. A couple of my cards didn’t get glue on them and are falling out of the book, but I just stick them in – when the book is closed, they stay put. I don’t recommend trying to glue them in after the fact… the glue gets on the card and just doesn’t work very well.
I think I’m going to try this with our reply cards as well… I’ll probably make some sort of cover page for those. And luckily, those are all the same size so it should be even easier.