Mom got me a used sewing machine! I’ve never owned my own before so I was very excited to give it try! I started with a simple project for the newest member of our family… our little kitten Tucker!
Using some fur and a thick cotton fabric scraps I free handed a pattern like this:
- I cut out a matching t-shape from each fabric.
- I sewed up each corner of the fabrics individually.
- With the right sides of the fabric together, I pinned and sewed most of top of the bed together – leaving about 3 inches to flip and insert stuffing.
- I turned the bed right side out
- I put in stuffing, one side at a time and sewed under the stuffing to create a stiff stuffed side.
- After each side had stuffing I closed the remaining 3 inches.
Ok, so the craftsmanship of this thing is not great – the sides are uneven, I doubt that stuffing and then sewing each side was the right way to do it, and I was too excited to finish it to hand-stich the thing shut so there’s this ugly seam on one side where I closed the thing with the machine. BUT, it was super quick (took me about 2 hours), and the cat LOVES it! Plus, it was baby’s first sewing machine project, so let’s give baby a pass on this one. 😛